Author Topic: Gai Nie - Ge Nie's English name change  (Read 3208 times)

Offline sapphiresky

• Administrator
  • Eternal Mooncake
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 51
  • -Receive: 26146
    • MSN Messenger - fairydream@gmail.com
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Youtube
    • DeviantArt
    • View Profile
    • Wuxia Edge
    • Email
Gai Nie - Ge Nie's English name change
« on: May 23, 2012, 09:32:17 PM »
So yes, there's been a lot of comments and confusion about Ge Nie's name change in the official English version, and since I am involved in this, I shall tell you that we did this on purpose because of the whole "G" pronunciation in English.

The reason why it's changed is because "Ge Nie" is way too similar to "Genie", which most people wouldn't know the difference. Whereas, Gai (almost similar to Guy) is much similar to the way it's really pronounced. Just think of poor old Cow Cow (Cao Cao), who should really be pronounced as Tsao Tsao...

So yes, hope that clears any confusion people have about why his name is spelled differently.

《Upcoming: Xuan Yuan Sword - Scar of the Sky: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikFReY9JDI8

Offline ThanaRose

• Little Mooncake
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 3
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Gai Nie - Ge Nie's English name change
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 06:09:16 PM »
I'm usually opposed to these kind of changes (Cao Cao I can understand, but I don't think Ge Nie is anything like "genie" unless you combine "Ge" and "Nie" to make "Genie.")

Still, I guess if you pronounce Gai Nie fast enough, it sounds about the same, no matter what spelling. :)

Offline Joshfonbigg

• Little Mooncake
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Gai Nie - Ge Nie's English name change
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2014, 11:56:41 AM »
It is very interesting And like to take another look.