Author Topic: Hokkien and Indonesia 'Wuxia' novels  (Read 359 times)

Offline kevinmanuel

• Little Mooncake
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • View Profile
Hokkien and Indonesia 'Wuxia' novels
« on: April 28, 2018, 11:43:44 AM »
HI,

My first introduction to Hokkien language was from translations of Wuxia (what's the hokkien of this?) novels of Khu Lung (Gu Long), and Chin Yung (Jin YOng). That was from when I was 10 years old. Those novel translations were so popular here in Indonesia 20 or 30 years ago.Because of this popularity, lots of indonesian writers wrote their own wuxia story using Hokkien terms, idioms, and vocabularies. Kho Ping Hoo was one of the most famous Indonesian wuxia writers.Unfortunately by the growth of televisions, movies, etc, the kind of novel lost its popularity in early 90's.2 or 3 years ago, there was a movement from the wuxia lovers to make those translations popular again. They re-print those old books, and published them again. These people, known as "Masyarakat Cerita Silat" or Wuxia Novel Society even encouraged young people to write new stories.There are lots of new writers now who are working and writng new wuxia stories. They write in Indonesian language, but using lots of Hokkien vocabularies. I am one of this new writer, and am currently working on my story. I have found this forum is very helpful, and I hope I can finish my novel soon. I really hope Indonesian Wuxia Novel such as Kho Ping Hoo can also be translated to English or Mandarin.

For more details:
Content production studio

Thanks!